Old Photos of Bunker Hill, Michigan: 1895-1920
Bunker Hill township was incorporated in 1839 and includes the unincorporated towns of Bunker Hill (sometimes referred to as 'Bunker Hill Center') and Fitchburg.
The earliest settlers in the township came from Ireland in the 1840's. The township did indeed get it's name from the infamous battle at Bunker Hill.....sort of. Major Johnathan Shearer, who owned a section of area land, wanted to name the town after the man who built the first house on the land, Abram Bunker. But Bunker didn't want the recognition, so the "Hill" was added.
The story that has been handed down in history says the town was named after Shearer's father, who was a captain in the 1775 battle of Bunker Hill in Charlestown, Massachusetts. Older maps refer to the village as Bunker Hill Center.
A post office opened in February 1841 and closed one year later, in February 1842. It came back to life in December 1848 and shut down again 55 years later in December 1903.
The little Michigan village of Bunker Hill soon had a handful of establishments, including a blacksmith, church, general store, post-office, schoolhouse, and town hall. Now all that stands - along with homes scattered throughout the countryside - are churches, a town hall and store.
The photo gallery below shows some great old images (courtesy of Darlene Bailey) including the store, school, the old Bailey farm, and others. It's a nice little secluded out-of-the-way place to drive thru someday...stop at the store while you're there.
Vintage Bunker Hill Photos
MORE COOL MICHIGANIA: