Should non U.S. citizens receive scholarships to Michigan colleges and universities?

A set of bill’s in the Michigan House says no.

Michigan House Bills 4829-4834 states that only U.S. citizens or permanent residents can receive Michigan nursing or other state competitive scholarships, student grants, work study programs, Promise Act grants, loans from the Michigan State Housing Development Authority.  The Sponsors is these sets of bills are State Representatives Eric Leutheuser, R-Hillsdale, John Reilly, R-Oakland, Jim Runestad, R-White Lake.

The bills have passed out of the House Local Government Committee and are currently awaiting action in the full House of Representatives.

Do you believe all Michigan colleges and university scholarships should go to only citizens of the United States and permanent residents?

According to the Detroit Free Press, Michigan Democrats have introduced illegal immigrant bills, including those requiring the state of Michigan to issue illegal immigrants driver's licenses or state identification cards.  The have also introduced bills that would require universities to provide in-state tuition and prohibiting Michigan law enforcement from collecting immigration status on people they stop. None of those bills has gotten a hearing and the Detroit Free Press article did not state the bill numbers and I was unable to find them either.

Why is it that the Democrats seem to be spending a lot of time working on the issues of illegal immigrants and not issues facing legal residents and U.S. citizens?

The Live with Renk show airs Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to noon, to let me know your thoughts call (269) 441-9595

More From 1240 WJIM AM