Toxic Algae in Michigan Lakes Dangerous for Dogs
On National TV news last night, they were talking about several dog owners in Texas, Georgia, and North Carolina who said toxic algae killed their dogs.
According to WILX News 10, Your Breaking News and Weather Authority, officials say Michigan is no stranger to seeing blue green algae in our lakes.
This is typically the time of year the algae grows because of the hot temperatures, sunlight, and limited circulation in the water according to experts with the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy.
The algae can be difficult to fight because it will only be in the lakes for a week or two. Owners are going to want to look out for green colored water because that is a sign the water might be dangerous to pets.
The best way someone can help their dog is to look before getting in the water or give their dog a bath afterwards to help decrease the risk.