I'm all about drinking alcohol but not when it comes in the form of hand sanitizer.

A hand sanitizer that is sold in Michigan is being recalled because someone screwed up bigtime and incorrectly labeled the bottle with “edible alcohol.”

According to the FDA, CorgioMed, LLC is voluntarily recalling all lots of Leafree Instant Hand Sanitizer-Aloe Vera. The products are being recalled because they are labeled as “EDIBLE ALCOHOL”. Leafree Hand Sanitizer is an alcohol-based hand rub to be applied externally to reduce bacteria on the skin when soap and water are not available.

CorgioMed, LLC:

Ingesting hand sanitizer, which is intended for topical use, may result in alcohol toxicity. Symptoms of alcohol toxicity may range from lack of coordination, slowed or slurred speech, drowsiness to coma, which can be fatal. Young children may experience a sharp decrease in blood sugar which may result in death. Pregnant women who ingest alcohol have experienced birth defects and developmental disabilities. Nursing mothers who ingest alcohol in above moderate levels may see developmental, growth and sleep pattern damages in their babies and may experience impaired judgement and ability to safely care for their child. Furthermore, ingesting alcohol can affect the brain and cause impaired driving or operating heavy machinery. Alcohol can also interact with numerous drugs which may result in serious adverse effects. Ingesting alcohol by people with alcohol addiction may interfere with maintaining abstinence. Additionally, people with alcohol addiction may seek large amounts of ethanol-based hand sanitizers as a substitute. The labeling of this product as ‘edible alcohol’ may promote this behavior.

1240 WJIM AM logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

The product is used as a hand sanitizer and is packaged in 100 ml (UPC #6970495860325), 300 ml (UPC #69705860318) and 500 ml (UPC #6970495860301) bottles.  Product was distributed Nationwide via CorgioMed website.

If you were goofy enough to drink their hand sanitizer, it's suggested that you contact your physician or healthcare provider. If you simply rubbed it on your hands, you'll be just fine.

CorgioMed LLC 301-978-3898

MORE: The Dangers of Energy Drinks

More From 1240 WJIM AM