Strange Michigan Laws That Could Still Get You in Trouble
We have done this before in mentioning weird Michigan laws, but most of them are off the books or you can't get in any real trouble for them. However, there are still some weird laws that are currently still on the books so you might want to watch out for these, even though there is a slim chance of getting in any real trouble from these.
- You can't get drunk on trains - This is law #436.201, in case you ever need to fight it in court, and it states you can't or be on a train if you are intoxicated, so it might get confusing if you get drunk while on a long train ride. This law was enacted in 1913 and is still on the books.
- The last Sunday in June of each year shall be known as “log cabin day." - It was actually enacted more recently than the others as it was put on the books in 1989.
- It is illegal to sell cars on Sunday - This was enacted in 1953 and states that no motor vehicles can be sold by a person or a company on the first day of the week, which is Sunday. So if you have bought a car on Sunday you broke a law!
- All putt-putt golf courses must be closed by 1am - Not sure when this was enacted and it is probably only a law in Detroit but you might want to not be caught on a putt-putt course later than midnight.
Now that I mentioned the weird laws still on the books, here are some laws that might be on the books still but you can't get in real trouble for.
- Adultery is illegal and can be punished only after a complaint from the victimized spouse.
- Anyone over age 12 can get a gun license if they haven't committed a felony.
- You can't kill a dog with a decompression chamber.
- There is a punishment of five years in prison if a male seduces or corrupts a single girl.
- Having sex in a parked car is illegal unless it's in your own driveway.
- If burglars are hurt within the house they broke into, they can sue the owner.
- Old hoop skirts can't be thrown out onto the sidewalk or street in Grand Haven.
- On Sundays, a man isn't allowed to scowl at his wife in Detroit.
- You aren't allowed to paint sparrows to sell them as parakeets.
- Pigs can't run free in downtown Detroit streets unless they have rings in their noses.
- Police must inspect bathing suits in Rochester.
- It is against the law to serenade your girlfriend in Kalamazoo.
- To keep your cow on downtown Main Street in Wayland, you must pay three cents a day.
- Women can't cut their own hair unless hubby says it's OK.
You can see more laws that still exist and some weird ones that are no longer on the books here.