Michigan Couple Suffers Carbon Monoxide Poisoning From Portable Generator
The roar of generators has permeated many neighborhoods in Southeast Michigan and the fumes from one of those machines sent a Westland couple to the hospital.
Power Out for More Than a Quarter of a Million People
Severe weather that rolled through Michigan downed trees and knocked out power for about 250,000 DTE and Consumers Energy customers in Southeast Michigan. Metro Detroit residents were arguably hit harder than those of us in the Flint area.
As of Wednesday (8/31) afternoon, DTE Energy crews have restored power to approximately 80,000 customers with expectations remaining that most will have their power back on by late Thursday.
Even Running a Generator Outside Can Be Dangerous
Generators should never be run indoors or even inside a garage attached to a home - even with the garage door open.
A Westland couple is recovering after carbon monoxide levels inside their home reached dangerous levels. It should be noted that the couple was running their portable generator outside - but as Westland Fire Chief Darrell Stamper explains to WJBK-TV, the machine was too close to the house.
"They did put it outside but too close to the house and it ultimately exhausted Into the windows and doors causing the CO levels to rise in the house," Stamper said.
The TV station reports that the couple began to feel relief after going outside. They were taken to a nearby hospital as a precaution.
Safe Operation of a Portable Generator
Experts recommend running a generator only if it is at least five feet away from a home with its exhaust pointed away from any windows or vents where CO fumes could enter the home.
Here's Another Pro Tip:
If you rely on a portable generator when your home is without power, invest in a generator cord. If your generator has a four-prong outlet, it's likely the most powerful outlet on your machine and will provide more power to run your essentials than its standard 110-volt sockets.