Michigan Baby Dies From Fentanyl Overdose While in Babysitter’s Care
An eight-month-old baby girl has died of a fentanyl overdose, and the infant's mother believes the babysitter who was watching her is to blame.
How Did an Infant Get Poisoned by Fentanyl?
Investigators are still trying to piece together how eight-month-old J'ream was exposed to the lethal drug. J'ream's mother chose not to identify herself but tells Detroit's WJBK-TV that she believes the exposure happened at a trusted babysitter's home in Dearborn Heights on September 15.
The mother shared a toxicology report indicating that the baby had fentanyl in her urine. The girl died at Detroit Children's Hospital of Michigan after being removed from life support.
"Pretty much there was nothing they could do. Her heart wasn't pumping without the ventilator and there was no brain activity," the girl's mother said.
The mother tells the TV station that J'ream and her six-year-old brother were inseparable.
"I was going to explain to him what happened, and he looked at me and said, 'Mommy you know I already know J'ream is dead,'" she said. "It hurt my heart so bad."
Police Continue to Look for Clues
Dearborn Heights Police Chief Jarod Hart tells Fox-2 that his department is waiting for the autopsy report from the Wayne County Medical Examiner before formally making charges.
Meanwhile, the girl's mother is simply trying to cope with everything that has happened.
"Instead of planning our child's first birthday we have to plan a funeral for our child," she said.