Memorial Day weekend is this weekend and it's a time for Americans to recognize and remember those that gave their lives for our freedom that we enjoy as Americans. The saying "Freedom Isn't Free" is a true statement. I am forever grateful for the men and women that gave their lives for me and my family.
If you would like to pay your respects there are different Memorial Day events happening in the Lansing area and throughout the state.
10 Lansing Area Memorial Day Events
34 Memorial Day Parades in Michigan
A lot of citizens look at Memorial Day weekend as the first day the pool is open, grill season has officially begun or that the school year is almost over. While all of these things are true, Memorial Day is about those that gave their lives for you and I.
BBQ's and get togethers with friends and family coincide with the three day weekend. There's a lot of planning that goes into these events if you are the host. Typically if we have a get together at our house we will provide the protein on the grill, along with snacks, beverages and some side dishes. Guests tend to bring a dish to pass.
Despite all of the planning that goes into hosting a get together, there is always something that is forgotten. Often times it can be the most basic thing. Even when we make lists of goods to buy at the store we tend to forget something. It's always nice to have that friend that is coming over that calls and asks "is there anything I can bring, anything you're missing?". Below you will find the items we tend to forget.
5 Things Michiganders Will Forget This Memorial Day
5. Mustard - I always like to have fresh, unopened condiments for our guests to use. For whatever reason mustard is often overlooked. Ya can't have a hot dog without mustard, at least for me. I'm a mustard only dude.
4. Plastic Cutlery - we can plan the best together with all of the food and fun but without forks, spoons and knives it's hard to eat the meal.
3. Paper Plates/Cups - even when plates are on our list at home, we sometimes overlook that, and that means we'll need to make another run to the store unless that "friend" calls and asks "what'd ya forget?".
2. Ice - this has got to be one of the most forgotten items for any get together throughout the year. The one thing that we tell our friends when they call and ask if we need anything is ice, 100% of the time.
1. Honor and remember the brave men and women who gave their lives for our country. Do something this year. Click the links above for multiple events that you can attend.
Have a safe Memorial Day weekend and never forget that freedom isn't free.