Ban Free Speech?
Really! People want to ban free speech.
According to a new poll performed by Yougov.com, “many Americans support making it a criminal offense to make public statements which would stir up hatred against particular groups of people.”
Here are their results:
- Americans narrowly support (41%) rather than oppose (37%) criminalizing hate speech, but this conceals a partisan divide.
- Most Democrats (51%) support criminalizing hate speech, with only 26% opposed.
- Independents (41% to 35%) and
- Republicans (47% to 37%) tend to oppose making it illegal to stir up hatred against particular groups.
Support for banning hate speech is also particularly strong among racial minorities.
- 62% of black Americans, and 50% of Hispanics support criminalizing comments which would stir up hatred.
- White Americans oppose a ban on hate speech 43% to 36%.
Who decides what “hate speech” is?
What some consider “hate speech” others may feel is not “hate speech”.
What some consider “hate speech” others consider free speech.
If you believe someone is committing “hate speech” do not listen to them.
Do you think “hate speech” should be banned?
What are your thoughts?
Let’s discuss this today on my show The Live with Renk show, which airs Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to noon, to let me know your thoughts at (269) 441-9595.
Or please feel free to start a discussion and write your thoughts in the comment section.